Friday 29 July 2011

What is Fair Trade?


Because Jorge and I are selling Filigrana jewellery, Nanduti and other items from Paraguay, we are often asked if what we sell is classified as fair trade. Since that time, I have given a lot of thought to that question and decided that I needed to clarify exactly what is meant by the term "Fair Trade". What I have learned is that fair trade attempts to bring a level of consciousness to consumers making purchasing decisions and to put a face to the group producing the consumer goods. And more importantly, it attempts to fairly compensate the producer for his efforts while also taking care of any environmental concerns. It is true that workers the world over are often exploited and this situation would be likely to continue if we, as consumers, didn't ask "Where did this come from?", "What are the working conditions like?", "Is anyone profiting at the expense of others?" and "Are any human rights being violated?" Fair Trade certification programs attempt to answer and address these types of concerns and provide the answers to the end consumer (which is us). Certain industries are known for the abuse of workers such as the chocolate industry. (I don't sell chocolate at the present time.) An article on this website, http://cvso.ca/articles/chocolate.htm, states that "An International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) study in 2002 found that the average wage for cocoa growers in West Africa ranged from U.S.$30 to $110 - and that's for the entire year. These meager earnings, the report concludes, make it very tough for families to meet their basic needs, and for small businesses and communities to survive." Similar stories exist in the coffee and tea industry as well. There is a lot to learn in order to make informed choices. I know enough to know that I should be buying fair trade chocolate and coffee.

I looked at the Fair Trade Canada website, http://fairtrade.ca/en/about-fairtrade/fairtrade-certification, to find out exactly how a group can achieve fairtrade certification. This is what I found: "
Fairtrade certification begins with producers - usually democratic associations of small-scale farmers who grow the raw ingredients in Fairtrade certified products. Producers have to meet a variety of criteria that focus on a range of areas including labour standards, sustainable farming, governance, and democratic participation." Often these producers form co-operatives which are audited regularly by a certifying agency to ensure that no abuses are occurring. Companies that buy from these co-operatives also report to this agency. In Canada, this agency is Fairtrade Canada which is a sister organization to Fairtrade International (FLO). There is a link to the Fairtrade International on the Fairtrade Canada website (www.fairtrade.ca).

Just because a product isn't fairtrade certified, it doesn't mean that workers were exploited to obtain the product. It may mean that or it may not mean that. It means some research needs to be done. Jorge's mother lives in Paraguay and does our shopping for us. I had said that I wanted some of the handwoven bags, friendship bracelets and wooden beaded bracelets made by the Maka tribe in Paraguay. Now this tribe does not own any stores or is not organized in any formal fashion. They sell their wares on the streets of Asuncion (in this case). Many people do sell on the streets. I visited Paraguay with Jorge a couple of years ago and you couldn't walk anywhere without someone offering to sell you knock-off sunglasses or watches, pineapples or the bags in question. When I was there, I bought a bag from a woman who had laid a blanket down on the ground and spread the handwoven bags and other items around her on the blanket. Was this woman being exploited? Would they benefit from forming a co-operative? Do they want to? Would it be wrong for us to impose on them our idea of what is fair and equitable? It is not an easy question and it doesn't have an easy answer. It is something that I will continue to ponder.

I am interested in hearing what other people think about this issue. I only have limited knowledge but would like to consider other people's opinions. Other people might have insight that I don't have. I want my decisions to be more conscious and I don't want to hurt anyone in the process.

2 comments:

  1. You haven't hired these people as your employee's, you are simply buying their product and distributing it to consumers that would otherwise not have the oppurtunity to purchase it. You are paying the price that the makers have made themselves, therefore (in my little ol' opinion)should be considered fair :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lara for starting off the discussion. I do think that if we buy a product from someone we know is mistreating their employees, then we do bear some responsibility for the mistreatment. In my case, we are often purchasing the item directly from the person who made the item and they do set the price. I do have a responsibility to find out if I am paying a fair price and how workers are being treated. Right now I am satisfied that I am not taking advantage of anyone but it is important to question things anyways.

    ReplyDelete